Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Virtual Librarians--let's do it!

Last week in class we discussed the "Virtual Librarian" and what that looks like. I have used the Instant Messaging chat feature on the IU Wells library webpage but only as a class assignment for our Reference class. I found it to be helpful to my research needs, especially because I was able to save the online conversation. Many times when I have gotten reference help in person, it is harder to independently recreate a search after the reference interview has ended. I think that it is valuable for a library to offer the service if it is being used by the patrons. The in-class exercise of IM'ing another classmate showed how easy it was to set up and use. When we tried the conversation again through email, I found that the IM format is faster, more convenient as both a librarian and a patron.

No comments:

Post a Comment